Standard IT Support
Engineering IT provides in person and remote support for Grainger College of Engineering faculty and staff. This service is provided by Engineering IT Shared Services Administrative Support staff.
Grainger College of Engineering faculty and staff receive IT consultation and support for university-owned desktops, laptops, and mobile devices. Windows and Mac OS are fully supported for desktops and laptops. Android and iOS are supported for mobile devices connecting to campus services. Additional mobile device support can be found on the Mobile Device services page. Best effort is provided for all other platforms.
Ordering, Setup, and Maintenance
- Configuration, ordering, and receiving of computer hardware and software.
- Initial setup, including network configuration, UOFI Active Directory, OS security, and application installation and configuration as required/requested.
- Installation of endpoint management software for ongoing regular maintenance including OS and application updates as well as system vulnerability monitoring.
- Configuring and monitoring any implemented backup solutions.
- Small home directories, large enough for standard administrative use, are available.
- Group directories for file sharing within offices
- Snapshots of provided home and group directories
- Troubleshooting and resolution of software and hardware issues on supported computers to the best of Engineering IT staff members’ combined abilities. This generally includes getting hardware and applications to run as designed. In-depth knowledge of the features and function of individual applications is outside the scope of this service.
- Coordination with vendors for software license agreements, renewals, and hosting arrangements.
- Initial and ongoing configuration of operating system and applications, as well as monitoring and incident response/resolution.
- Engineering IT will keep abreast of and follow industry best practices for security, State and University policies, and the requirements and recommendations of Technology Services.
In addition to the above features, the following services are included for all users covered by Standard IT Support. Additional support work above and beyond can be obtained through the Hourly Support service.
Departments and units within Grainger College of Engineering.
Requests will receive a response within one business day, Monday through Friday, 8:30am to 5:00pm, excluding University holidays.
- Email: email@example.com
- Phone: 217-333-1313
- Walk-in at Help Desk Locations.
Current rates for this service can be found on the Service Fees page.
Users of this service agree to the following terms:
- Engineering IT must be consulted on all new purchases or acquisitions of machines or software to be supported.
- Engineering IT must have administrator-level privileges on all supported computers.
- Engineering IT reserves the right to refuse support on hardware or software that is significantly past end-of-life (which is typically 5 years for PCs and past vendor support for software).
- Engineering IT will apply updates on a regular basis. Updates may require a restart of the computer. Engineering IT will also install critical or emergency software updates with minimal notice if necessary for overall network security. Some exceptions are possible.
- All subscribers of this service must provide an accurate and up-to-date list of users to be supported.
- The provided home and group directories are not intended for research data. Please see related services for better options for large quantities of data.
New Service Inquiries
Research groups may be interested in these additional cost-recovery services:
Last Revised: January 12, 2017
Questions about this topic? Don't see what you're looking for?
Email firstname.lastname@example.org, call the Help Desk at 217-333-1313, or contact your primary IT support professional.