Engineering IT provides small home directories for all users affiliated with the Grainger College of Engineering. However, for those with greater data storage needs, Engineering IT also offers robust, professionally managed file storage which can be mounted on client systems on campus or remotely from off-campus through VPN.
Storage hosted by Engineering IT.
The following are the primary features of service:
- Convenient, flexible on- campus storage.
- Accessible remotely from off-campus via the campus VPN.
- Allows access via CIFS (Windows) and/or NFS (Linux) from client systems on campus.
- Customizable sharing and permissions via campus netIDs.
- Optional shadow copies / snapshots (for Windows).
- Optional backups.
- FERPA compliant (with appropriate access controls applied).
Faculty, staff, departments, units, and research groups within the Grainger College of Engineering.
Requests will receive a response within one business day, Monday through Friday, 8:30am to 5:00pm, excluding University holidays. Requests for large volumes may take longer to provision.
Storage is available in one-terabyte increments.
Please see service fees for the most up to date costs.
Users of this service agree to the following:
- This storage is not compliant with HIPAA or ITAR regulations. With appropriate access controls, it is FERPA compliant. Other legal data restrictions need to be discussed before storage is deployed.
- This storage is not optimized for high-performance computing or other specialized applications. Please inquire through contacts below for assistance with unique requests.
- Storage costs are assessed by allocated storage, not storage used.
- Storage allocations will be sized to accommodate any requested backups and shadow copies.
- Costs are billed quarterly. (Except for departments/units, which are billed annually.)
New Service Requests
Email email@example.com with the following information:
- Terabytes of storage desired.
- Specify what operating systems are expected to access it.
- Billing information (CFOP).
General Service Inquiries
Assistant Director for Research Services
- See the Storage Options page for a summary of available alternatives.
Subscribers to this service may be interested in these additional services:
For a broader view of research-related IT support offerings from Engineering IT and on campus, please contact our Research Technology Facilitator, Mark Hart.