Server/ Individual System Support
Server/Individual System Support is designed to provide purchase consultation, setup, configuration, and administration of one or more servers, workstations, or specialized systems (either physical or virtual). This service is available for Windows, macOS, and Linux.
University-owned physical computers or virtual computers hosted on University-owned hardware. Includes setup of necessary hardware and software for the intended use of the system. Does not include front-line user support.
The following are the primary features of Server/ Individual System Support:
Ordering and Setup:
- Engineering IT will handle configuration, ordering, and receiving for computer hardware and software.
- Engineering IT will perform initial setup including network configuration, Active Directory, OS security, and application installation and configuration.
- Engineering IT will coordinate with vendors as needed for software licenses to be used on the system, and install requested software.
- Engineering IT will keep abreast of and follow industry best practices for security, State and University policies, and the requirements and recommendations of Technology Services.
- Engineering IT will provide initial and ongoing configuration of operating system and applications, monitoring, and incident response/resolution.
Liaison to External Services:
- Engineering IT will act as a liaison for services used on the system which are hosted outside the College of Engineering.
Faculty, staff, research groups, and registered student organizations within the College of Engineering, or units/departments on behalf of the above.
Requests will receive a response within one business day, Monday through Friday, 8:30am to 5:00pm, excluding University holidays.
Please see Service Fees for the most up to date pricing, or contact the person listed below in New Service Inquiries. Charges for research groups must be paid at least quarterly.
The supported group must be willing to agree to the following terms:
- Engineering IT must be consulted on all new purchases or acquisitions of machines or software to be supported.
- Engineering IT must have ‘administrator’ level privileges on all supported computers.
- Engineering IT reserves the right to refuse support on hardware or software that is significantly past end-of-life. (Typically 5 years for PCs, past vendor support for software)
- Engineering IT will build, maintain, and install standard operating system images on all supported computers. Exceptions to this can be made with a valid technical reason.
- A valid UI Banner CFOAPAL account must be provided when contracting for the service.
New Service Inquiries
firstname.lastname@example.org - Please provide information about the server's function (e.g. course infrastructure, specialized research system, etc.)
Subscribers to this service may be interested in these additional services:
- Research Group Support: Provides desktop support for users and computers in research groups
- Research Storage
- Server Backups
Last Revised: September 7, 2016
Questions about this topic? Don't see what you're looking for?
Email email@example.com, call the Help Desk at 217-333-1313, or contact your primary IT support professional.