The Grainger College of Engineering provides walk-in and remote IT support services for a set of common IT support issues for Grainger faculty, staff, and students. This service is provided by Engineering IT Shared Services staff and student consultants.
University-owned desktops, laptops, and mobile devices (collectively referred to as devices throughout this document).
Limited assistance connecting to University resources with non-University equipment.
Current versions of Microsoft Windows and macOS are supported. Current versions of Linux are supported on a best-effort basis.
Setup of University-owned Devices:
- Installation of vendor-supported computer hardware, software, and/or operating system. Enterprise-class devices are strongly preferred.
- Installation assistance for properly licensed software listed on the WebStore.
- Installation of endpoint management software to allow for system vulnerability monitoring, regular updating and restarting of the system.
- Configure network settings, UOFI Active Directory on Windows, and/or OS security.
- Provide a list of standard hardware recommendations for desktop use.
Troubleshooting & Support of University-owned Devices:
- Troubleshoot and resolve issues with supported software and hardware on a best-effort basis.
- Enable network access (e.g., provide IP addresses) according to the policies of the individual departments.
- Troubleshoot network connectivity issues.
- Assist with connecting to University resources.
- Troubleshoot printers.
Assistance with Other Services:
- The Engineering IT will assist users with the acquisition and use of other Engineering IT services, such as research file storage, web hosting, backups, etc.
- The Engineering IT will assist users with centrally provided IT services such as Exchange (email and calendaring), campus wireless, and VPN. When assistance goes beyond basic support capabilities, the Engineering IT will refer users to the appropriate service manager or support professional.
Assistance Connecting Non-University Devices
- The Engineering IT will assist users in connecting to University resources (e.g., wireless network, printers, file share).
- Mobile device support is described in Mobile Device Support.
Grainger College of Engineering students, faculty, and staff.
Requests will receive a response within one business day, Monday through Friday, 9:00am to 5:00pm, excluding University holidays.
Basic support is a subsidy service funded by the Grainger College of Engineering and participating departments. Consultants may need to refer users to fee-based services when necessary.
Users of this service agree to the following terms:
- Support options are limited if Engineering IT does not have administrator privileges on the computer.
- For OS installation, Engineering IT uses a standard OS and software package.
- Support provided for non-University owned devices is much more limited than that for University-owned devices, and Engineering IT reserves the right to refuse all support for non-university owned hardware or software.
- Engineering IT reserves the right to refuse support on hardware and operating systems or software that is past end-of-life (for example, past vendor support).
- Engineering IT does not guarantee purchased hardware or software will meet specific needs, even with consultation.
- Engineering IT is not responsible for any loss of data incurred while providing technical support on a computer.
- Engineering IT will apply updates on a regular basis. Updates may require a restart to the computer. Engineering IT will also install critical or emergency software updates with minimal notice if necessary for overall network security. Some exceptions are possible.
- This service only covers software available from, and licensed through, WebStore.
New Service Inquiries
Help Desk Services Manager
Questions about this topic? Don't see what you're looking for?
Email email@example.com, call the Help Desk at 217-333-1313, or contact your primary IT support professional.