Course Website Hosting
Below is an overview of the available services for course website hosting. For more details, please visit How do I get a course website?
- Standard html websites at http://courses.engr.illinois.edu
- Wiki web spaces at https://wiki.illinois.edu/wiki/
- Course management at http://compass.illinois.edu
- Re-direction of web addresses for course sites not hosted on courses.engr.illinois.edu at http://my.engr.illinois.edu/webedit
- Websites for Grainger College of Engineering Students (cPanel and Publish.illinois.edu)
Course website hosting services are available to all Engineering instructors and course staff.
Standard Website Hosting
Engineering IT standard html course website hosting includes the following features:
- Automatic creation of the web folders as soon as a course appears in the campus course catalog.
- Flexible editing through a windows share, linux login server or WebEdit portal tool.
- A Private folder restricted to course staff for sharing or staging course materials.
- A Secure folder restricted with read-only access for current students in the class for class staff to distribute materials.
- Standard website addresses.
Compass is the campus course managment software. The software can be used for a course website, but also for other course management services such as quizzes, grade distribution and student collaboration. Compass can be used in conjunction with the other Engineering course website services.
Wiki Website Hosting
Illinois Wiki website hosting features:
- Easy to edit pages. No need to write html or special wiki code.
- Students can be given write access to the wiki and all edits are tracked.
- The wiki space can be shared with anonymous viewers, restricted to just the Illinois campus or even restricted further to just students enrolled in the class.
Course website hosting is not a fee based service.
Get more detailed information including how to request access and edit content at the course website user guide.